Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless, and tasteless gas produced in small quantities by improper combustion of burning fuels – including wood, heating oil, propane, kerosene, gasoline, diesel fuel, coal, or natural gas.
CO can be extremely poisonous. Exposure to high levels of CO can cause brain damage or death.
To limit the risk of CO exposure:
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in your home or workplace.
- Have your appliances inspected and serviced by a qualified technician once a year.
- Maintain good air supply and ventilation to all fuel-burning equipment.
- Don’t run your vehicles inside an attached garage.
- Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure resemble flu symptoms, including:
- Drowsiness or fatigue
- Burning eyes
If you or someone else is experiencing these symptoms:
- Take them out of the affected area
- Call 911
If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds:
- Open windows and doors to ventilate your home.
- Verify if anyone in your household has symptoms of CO exposure. If they do, leave the home immediately, call 911 and call Heritage Gas, 1-866-313-3030
If no one is showing symptoms of CO exposure:
- Check the batteries in the detector
- Check for fumes coming from a fuel-burning source such as a fireplace or wood stove.
If you cannot determine the cause of the alarm, and it continues to sound, leave the building (be sure to open all windows and doors) and call Heritage Gas, 1-866-313-3030